Monday, May 16, 2005

Book survey.

Sorry to the people that have already read this.
Whenever I see one of these I hope I'm not tagged to keep it going. I don't hate them or anything, I'm just a lazy turd. Luckily McPhil caught me at my most bored-est.

1 ) Total number of books owned?
Umm I just counted 15 boxes worth. Half of them are terrible superhero comics from when I was young that I keep meaning to sell.

2) The last book I bought?
3) The last book I read?
Lost at Sea by Bryan Lee O'Malley. $10 spur of the moment purchase from a second-hand book shop.
I found some parts beautiful but I'll have to read it again before deciding whether I like it.

4) Five books that mean a lot to me:

Jimmy Corrigan : The smartest Kid on Earth by Chris Ware.
Just so BIG in every sense of the word. It taught me comics shouldn't be just conventional pictures and words and really made me pay start paying attention to stuff like typography, design, page layout etc. (not that I think I actually used anything I learned from the book).

Watchmen by Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons.
This belongs here even though I think I've overdosed on it in the last few years to the point where I don't think I even need to read it again. I don't know what to say about it but it blew my mind every time I read it.

Sketchbook Diaries & Quit your Job by James Kochalka.
If I didn't rip off the Sketchbook Diaries you wouldn't even know who I was. Quit your Job always makes me smile. The ending with the cat is the cutest thing ever.

Blankets by Craig Thompson.
I just think it's so beautiful and sad. There are parts where I think "I wish that was me" and parts where I'm glad it's not. So honest and detailed too that it makes me wonder if I'm holding back. And yeah it made me really grateful for my own parents and childhood.

Ghost World by Dan Clowes.
I didn't know whether to put this or the Ice Haven issue of Eightball. I like the idea of nothing actually happening unless you look. Also the fact that every town has crazies like the satanists and the guy at the window who tells people who he thinks they look like is something I want to see alot more of.

Is that the most unoriginal list you've seen ? Sorry.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

which bookstore did you find lost at sea at?

Ive said...

Barwon Booksellers on James Street.
Usually I walk in look around and walk back out but the last three times I've been I've been excited about something there.
Speaking of which be sure to tell me when your book is all done so I can pimp it up here.
Naming things sucks balls hey ?

Anonymous said...

slightly un original i guess but completely true. i read the watchmen like every other month i find it sitting in my lap and i just cant resist. and blankets everyone knows but theres this great thing , where like. i think about blankets and i the reader get all nostalgic. truly awesome work.

Anonymous said...

i haven't been there in ages, it's a great shop. i always find something i want but it's usually when i have zero cash on me, and i don't think they have eftpos still. then it's gone when i go back.
and yeah, i'll do that!

Anonymous said...

They do have eftpos have had for about four years!!!